I just read an article that got my knickers all in a twist. It’s entitled, “19 Hard Things You Need To Do To Be Successful,” by a gentleman named Dame Luthas. Most are right on, but I take issue with the five below, that are just plain wrong! (In my humble opinion, of course).
Why is this worth writing about? Because, in their quest to reinvent themselves, or excel at their job, or succeed at a new career, or be a great mother, women are often too tolerant, and way too accepting. We have generally been raised to be “nice.” When we do stand up for ourselves, we might find people telling us that we’re selfish. That’s a manipulation, and one that we as women need to get beyond.
A woman who is strong enough to be generous, knows what she wants and where she’s going, AND takes care of herself FIRST, IN ORDER to take care of others…is pretty damned sexy!
Without any further ado – the excerpts from the article and my response:
- You have to care more about others more than they care about you. (DO- You just have to care about what you’re doing, a lot. Leave “the others” out of it.)
- You have to look like a fool while you’re looking for answers you don’t have. (DO – Baloney…a fool is the person who doesn’t search for the answer.)
- You have to make mistakes and look like an idiot. (DO – The author seems to have some issues with looking bad. Making mistakes makes you look like someone who is trying to succeed!)
- You have to be accountable for your actions even when things go wrong. (DO – Even? Try always.)
- You have to be kind to people who have been cruel to you. (DO – Bullsh*t! Don’t ever let anyone be cruel to you for any reason. You deserve better. Actually – you deserve the very best!)
You can have big goals, be clear about how you allow people to treat you, and prioritize your own needs…and not be a bitch. Trust that. Putting yourself first, in order to take care of others is the only sane choice. What will you have to give, and how will you succeed at anything, when you’re running on empty?
One thought on “Running On Empty”