I’m going to start out by saying that I’m going to talk (briefly) about a pet peeve. Let’s just call it a Public Service Announcement.
- Our words (and thoughts) have power
- We live in a responsive Universe
- We do, at some point, reap what we sow
That said, here is my peeve: It really bothers me when I hear women (or men, for that matter) say:
- I’ve been dying to ________.
- Oh, the food is to die for!
- I’ll just die if I don’t _______.
- This headache/backache/whatever is just killing me!
- My life is over because _______.
- What doesn’t kill us makes us stronger.
- That just kills me!
- Kill them with kindness.
- If I hear one more person say _______, I’m gonna kill myself.
- Or them.
Would you REALLY want any of that to come to pass? Of course not. Let’s begin to pay attention to what we say. Begin to catch ourselves when something like this comes out of our mouth. Practice loving kindness toward ourselves and others in thought, word and deed.
I wonder if I can be kind…and still be snarky occasionally? Feel free to let me know.
Life is many things; breathtakingly beautiful, smolderingly sexy, and exceedingly challenging sometimes. But, all-in-all, it’s worth living.
(The illustration is from the 1870 French fairy tale “Diamonds and Toads,” by Charles Perrault, illustrated by Kate Greenaway.)